Here’s another recipe to get into the spirit of Halloween on the horizon. In this recipe for Creepy Crawly Herb Cupcakes, chow mein noodles and crumbled chocolate cookie wafers resemble dirt and worms.
- 10 tablespoons infused butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 container store-bought chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chip
- 5 drops of red food coloring
- 1 drop of blue food coloring
- 1 Tbsp Light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 cup of chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup chocolate cookie wafer crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two muffin pans or line with 16 paper baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat the infused butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, almond extract and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into the batter, alternating with the milk, just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool, then top with chocolate frosting.
- To make the worm topping, melt 1/2 cup white chocolate chips in a small pan over medium low heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in food coloring, light corn syrup and hot water. Gently mix in chow mein noodles until they are evenly coated.
- Scoop the mixture onto waxed paper and separate the noodles with two forks.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes or until the coating to set. Meanwhile, sprinkle the cupcakes with chocolate cookie wafer crumbs. When the worms are ready, arrange them on top.