Melatonin is the prime hormone that regulates the body’s sleep patterns. Getting enough sunlight helps regulate the body’s internal clock and helps to produce melatonin. However in this backwards, indoor, overworked society we reside in, melatonin production can be halted thus creating poor sleep. Sleep is literally the foundation from which we humans function therefore poor sleep means cranky, irritable, less productive humans. Taking melatonin supplements is not a sure thing as you never really know what’s contained within those processed pills. Eating foods that help the body naturally regulate and produce melatonin is a kinder, gentler way to increase levels.
An extremely simplistic equation to remember is that foods high in tryptophan convert to serotonin which then converts to melatonin. Also, B vitamins and magnesium have a super calming effect as well.
The following foods are sleepy time foods that should be added to the diet to help your body naturally increase tryptophan production/serotonin production/melatonin production in addition to eating more foods rich in B vitamins and magnesium:
- Pineapple don’t just make for killer pina coladas. Pineapple boosts melatonin more than most other foods.
- Bananas are a powerhouse food. Bananas contain magnesium, vitamin B6 and tryptophan which helps produce serotonin which helps the body drift into sleep.
- Oranges give a kick of vitamin C but along with that, help the production of melatonin.
- Tart dark cherries are known to naturally boost melatonin levels.
- Oats/oatmeal is wonderful for helping to fuel the body and relax. They help boost melatonin levels and are filled with B vitamins and magnesium.
- Pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas are tiny green powerhouses. They are filled with calming magnesium and tryptophan.
- Walnuts are a great source of tryptophan and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Almonds are a great source of tryptophan and magnesium.
- Flaxseeds are a great source of natural melatonin as well as omega 3 fatty acids.
- Omega 3’s are wonderful all around so getting a handful of hemp seeds and chia seeds will help the sandman bring some dreams.
- Raw honey has been shown to increase levels of insulin just enough to help the body/brain have a restful peaceful night of sleep.
- Goji berries and raspberries are high in melatonin.
Disclaimer: *This is not professional or medical advice. It is meant to be used as merely a suggestion gathered from the copious amounts of information freely accessible today. It is ultimately up to the person making and consuming their own products to make sound judgement calls and act responsibly. Nothing contained within should be mistaken for medical advice and is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease . Some herbs may cause individuals to experience allergic reactions or other side effects. Consult with a healthcare professional prior to using any High and Mighty products. DO NOT USE this product if you are pregnant , breast feeding, providing to a child or if you have any other special needs. If you experience any adverse effects, immediately contact a doctor. AMOUNT CONSUMED IS ENTIRELY BASED ON ADULT DISCRETION AND IS THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CONSUMER. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.